The Petrovaradin Fortress
The Petrovaradin fortress was a significant military fortress of Austrian rulers who in the time of Napoleon’s conquests hid herself in her valuables. Today it is the center of art, the environment in which the Exit Festival takes place and the building whose mysterious underworld does not cease to intrigue the world’s researchers.
When the then European nobles built the Petrovaradin fort, they did not even imagine that 300 years later it would be the hub of people from all over the world, but not soldiers, but lovers of goodies and good music. Their strong military fortification turned into a joyous musical fortress of Exita, one of the biggest European music festivals, but also in the largest art colony in Europe.
The mighty bastion on the right bank of the Danube, the second-largest fortress in Europe, has changed many masters. Its shape, after 180 years in which it was in the hands of the Turks, was given by the Holy Roman Emperor Leopold I of the Austrian dynasty of the Habsburgs, and therefore it is also exuded by the abstract style of Austria of the 18th century. In 1703, he began her reconstruction, which lasted for 77 years.
The legend says that the name of the Petrovaradin fortress consists of three words that together signify a “city on a rocky wall”, and because of the strategic position and importance it had for the Habsburg Monarchy, it was called “Gibraltar on the Danube”. It is the Upper and Lower City, which are rising above the Danube and representing the symbol of Novi Sad.
The most striking part of the Petrovaradin fortress is the Clock Tower located at the Ludwig bastion, where the hands are placed unusually: a small hand indicates minutes, and hours. This unusual clock was made so that people, and above all the shipowners, could see from a distance a lot of hours.
Kalemegdan – Belgrade
The most beautiful and the largest Belgrade park is at the same time the most important cultural and historical complex, dominated by the Belgrade Fortress above the confluence of the Sava in the Danube. The name of Kalemegdan refers only to the spacious plateau around the Fortress which was turned into a park in the eighties of the 19th century. Plato was, while the Fortress was the main military stronghold of Belgrade, served to look at the enemy and wait for the fight; That is why his name comes from the Turkish words “kale” – the city, that is, the fort and the “megdan” field. The Turks called Kalemegdan also Fićir-Bayir, which means “hill for thinking”.
Fortress of Niš
The fortification of which two millennia has been witnessed by many archaeological finds in a long history is becoming an increasingly popular destination for curious tourists all over the world.
Niš. A magnificent city on the same river, which does not cease to intrigue and attracts visitors from different parts of the world. One of the reasons we can also find is that the emperor Emperor Constantine the Great does not reveal too much. In the cobbled streets, historical monuments, dilapidated facades, and old taverns, unverified stories are hidden that can be felt in the blazing southern air.
However, the inability to learn the secrets that date back to the Roman period and come to an end, is very attractive. For this reason, the fortress located on the right bank of the Nisava magnet is for all lovers of history, architecture, festivals and unusual legends. And here they are in abundance. Namely, the Nis fortress has a continuity of about two millennia of constant existence.
Fortress – Bac
The fort in Bac is the most important and best preserved medieval fort on the territory of Vojvodina. The locality, on which the fortress is built, testifies to the long series of centuries of using this naturally defensive terrain, which tied its fate to the Danube River, a natural border between peoples and civilizations.
The beginning of the work of today’s fortress is related to the period from 1338 to 1342, when King Charles Anžujski strengthened the borders of the kingdom. This is the time of the rise of Emperor Dusan and Serbian-Hungarian war conflicts, which King Carlo cited in one letter as a danger and a reason for undertaking works on the fortress in Bac. The building and fortification of the fort did not last two centuries. The work on establishing and adapting to new military-engineering requirements was led by archbishops, who were often also mayors. The work of Peter II Varads, a humanist, scientist, art lovers, has been recorded, which from 1495 to 1501 completed the construction work and deepened the water trenches around the fortress.
Palić is a small town in the north of Serbia, just 7 km from Subotica. The most famous one is Palić Lake, which is one of the main cultural and entertainment attractions in Vojvodina. The legend says that the lake was created by the tears of the shepherd Paul who kept his sheep at this place. The lake was once salty thanks to the addition and washing of sodium chloride, and was thought to represent the rest of the Pannonian Sea. It is deep up to 3.5 m, and the green color gives it a high concentration of algae. The city is at an altitude of 99 m.
The lake was first mentioned in 1462, and the first map of the lake dates from 1690. The water from Palić Lake is healing, and its mud is especially beneficial. This was known at the end of the 18th century, and from 1837 to 1845 on the lake were built Bath, a tavern and a Lower market. When the Budapest-Zemun railroads opened in 1883 and in 1897 a tram line from Subotica to Palić, the lake began to live full of glow of the right tourist place.
Castle of Bogdan Dunđerski
Bogdan Dunđerski, a hundred years ago, built the castle Fantast, one of the most beautiful castles in Serbia. The story says that the Bogdan house was built to show the power to all those who claimed to be bankrupt. And so he built a dream castle, which is still unique today in the whole region. Fantast Castle is located in central Vojvodina, 14 kilometers from Becej and 60 kilometers from Novi Sad. It is a monument of great cultural significance. This beautiful building was completed in 1925 and in 1983 it was turned into a luxury hotel. This complex as a whole extends to 65 acres.
The owner of Bogdan Dunđerski never married and had no children. He also built a racing hergel horse that exists today.
The house itself is named after Bogdanov’s best horse – Fantastic. Ergela has produced some of the best racing horses in the entire region. At one point she occupied more than half the entire estate and had about 1400 horses.
According to the stories, the oldest monastery in Fruska Gora is Privina Glava, because it connects to Pribu or Priv, a Serbian nobleman from the 12th century. The church of the monastery is dedicated to St. Archangels Michael and Gabriel. The renovation of the church in the 15th century is related to the Srem Brankovići, and the first written information about the monastery is from 1566-1567.
In a space of 50 x 10 kilometers, there are 16 monasteries.
Monastery Krušedol, Velika Remeta, Grgeteg, Novo Hopovo, Staro Hopovo, Rakovac, Beočin, Vrdnik, Jazak, Mala Remeta, Bešenovo, Šišatovac, Petkovica, Kuveždin, Divša (Đipša), Privina Glava.
Resavska cave is located in eastern Serbia, in the area of Gornja Resava, 20 km from Despotovac. It is located in the limestone hill Babina head on the edge of the Karst field Divljakovac and at an altitude of 485 m.
It counts among the oldest caves in our country, because it is 80 million years old, and older jewelry is estimated at about 45 million years. Its creation began before the great ice age by the chemical and mechanical work of the sinking river in the limestone geological base.
Resavska cave was discovered in 1962, although it was previously known to her by the shoemakers who shelled in the cave with the sheep to protect themselves from storms. It was opened in 1972. The cave is 4.5 km long, 2830 m is explored in detail, and about 800 m are arranged for visitors. The temperature in Resavska cave is constant throughout the year and is + 7 ° C, while the air humidity varies from 80 to 100%.
Archaeological site Belo brdo, Vinča
About 15km from Belgrade in the village of the same name on the right bank of the Danube. The site has the appearance of a low hill and makes it nine layers with residues from different periods.
The first remains of the settlement were found quite accidentally at the beginning of the 20th century. So far, about 4% of the area has been explored, but excavations have revealed various objects including: tools and weapons of stone, horns, bones, dishes, vases, jewelry, statues …
The significance of the site is that the remains of the Neolithic settlement from the period of 5,500-5,000 years BC have been found here.
The inhabitants lived in semi-humid huts, tent-like appearance and produced pottery, stone tools and weapons …
In the young Neolithic (4,500-3,500 BC), Vinca became a large economic, religious and cultural center that affected the culture of all agricultural communities in Central and Southeastern Europe. After the discovery of copper, Vinca lost its significance.
This archaeological site is endangering the problem of landslides and wastewaters, there is no feasibility study for the site, nor a detailed regulation plan.
Nevertheless, here you can see the remains of Neolithic civilization that had a culture of housing more developed than the medieval one. The inscription is open to visitors again.
Until other historical evidence is found, you are at the oldest site of human civilization.
Ancient palace of Felix Romuliana
In the era of digitization, the former residence of Roman Emperor Gaius Valerius Maximilian Gallery (293-311 AD) still arouses curiosity of domestic and foreign tourists.
The magnificent palace of the Roman Emperor Gaius Maximilian, who stood out as a capable soldier who did not miss the Roman Emperor Diocletian (244-331 BC), proclaiming him as Caesar, and marrying his daughter Valeria. In 306, Gaj became the head of the Roman Empire until he retreated to a quiet age, but his death stopped on the road 311 near Sofia in returning to his homeland in the coastal Daki. After the arrival of the Slovene at the end of the sixth century, the residence was abandoned.
Nature Reserve Uvac
In the south-west of Serbia it extends over the territory of the municipalities of Sjenica and Nova Varos, and it has been protected since 1971.
One of the first things everyone thinks about when talking about Uvac are beautiful meanders of the same river, ranging from the hydroelectric power plant Kokin to the village Krstac on the way to Sjenica.
Meanders, which can be seen from numerous gazes from the surrounding villages, are beautified with the only natural habitat of white-headed vultures in Serbia (along the Trešnjica canyon). It is said that the first encounter with incredible birds, whose wingspan can reach up to three meters, truly unique if you are lucky, as some of the many tourists coming to this region, you can also see a unique dance of white headed vulture.
In southern Kuchia, it created the most watery game of water and limestone. It is located next to the road that leads from Resavica to the Holy Cross (east of Paracin).
What is the drawback of this very strange and unique waterfall is the forest path which is in the period of the largest activity, in the spring, practically impassable due to the fauna that is very active and heavenly beautiful. In the summer, when the beech forests of the southern Buckeye spread out and bloom, the water behind the siege is just a shy drip, giving you the feeling that you are in a dream. It is about 15 meters high, very poor in water even in the spring when it has water, although it never dries. Waterfall Prskalo, as if a man made his own hand.
Kopaonik hides an interesting natural phenomenon in itself. o is the lake in which the islands sail. The lake is about 60 meters in diameter and the largest island is 15 meters long and covered with plants, and there are even several tall trees on it. In addition to this damage, there are several smaller ones. The bastards of the islands are a real attraction for all tourists who visit this lake, because the islands move when the wind blows, and also visitors can drive them.
The Semey Lake is also specific in that its depth can not be measured because the underwater sources from which the lake receives water so deep and wide that they are themselves a part of it.
Vultures are the old plots of the Semetech lake, and recently the lake has been made.
It is located in the southeast of Serbia, on the territory of the municipality of Surdulica.
Its surface is 16 km2 and the depth is up to 35 m. The lake is surrounded by mountains Gramada, Vardenik and Čemernik. It is located at 1,213 m above sea level. In the lake every minute comes two cubes of water of the first quality. Vlasina, Vrla, Jerma, Božička Reka and Ljubotenska Reka with their tributaries make a basin of the lake.
The so-called floating islands, which are created during the rise of the water level of the lake, are the specificity of Vlasina Lake.
What is characteristic of the flora is, of course, a very rare plant of the carnivorous tree called Rosulus.
It is located near the border with Romania and comprises a whole of tens of lakes, of which seven are separated. The most famous are Vračevgajsko and Šljunkar, and the biggest beach is the city beach. Along the lake there is a weekend campsite camping site, but also a few smaller hotels and villas suitable for a holiday.
Devil ‘s town
It is located below Radan Mountain, 27 km southeast of Kuršumlija. At an altitude of 600 meters, this unusual and rare scene of about 200 relief figures, created by multiple-erosive erosion processes, and which are opposing the left and right sides of the cliff, form two “mahals” – the Devil jarug and Pakleni jarug. What is important for this place is the Red Springs, a source of mineral water, which is not for drinking, but the locals claim that it is medicinal and that it needs to wash sick places.
What has always been to follow this place are many legends, the most famous of which are these figures are the wedding guests, who went to marry their brother and sister, and whom God had mercifully, in order to prevent sin. Because of its extraordinary unusual exposition, and because of the legend, which give an additional dose of mystique to this place, the Devil’s Varos daily attracts tourists all over the world, and is also nominated for the world wonder of nature.
It is considered one of the most beautiful Serbian monasteries due to the sophisticated architecture of the Byzantine-racial school, but also because of the beautiful ambience in which it is located. It is on the UNESCO list since 1986. Studenicu was built by Stefan Nemanja in the 12th century, whose relics are still present in this monastery. In Studenica, there are the relics of Stefan the Firstborn.
Formerly there were 14 churches in the complex of the monastery, and to this day only three have been preserved: The Virgin Church, the Royal Church and the Church of Sv. Nicholas.
Studenica was one of the richest monasteries, but wars and devastation during long history have done theirs. Nevertheless, some of the preserved precious items can be seen today in Studenica treasure. At 8km from the monastery, it is carved in the cliff of the hut of Sv. Sava, in which he wrote the Studentic typic and the St. Zitije sv. Simeon Nemanje.
It is located 80 km from Belgrade, near Topola. A place that is exuding the beauty of October-coniferous forests and the history of one of the most important Serbian dynasties, Karadjordjevic.
At this place was built a mausoleum of the dynasty that was started by King Peter I Karađorđević, and then the entire historical and memorial complex, which later became their endowment.
Today, within this complex you can see the Church of Sv. George, Mausoleum of the Serbian royal family, royal vineyards, museum (Vinogradareva house), King Peter’s house, royal villa, royal villa, Karađorđeva church, monument to Karadjordje and hotel.
If you like nature, water, a quiet place and good food, the Krupa spring is the right choice for you. It is located between the villages of Milanovac and Krupaj, at the foot of Beljanica. Homolje is known as an ecological oasis
The source creates a karst lake on the surface. The blue color on the surface makes the place unreal. There is no word that can describe the idyll of the Krupa spring – it simply needs to be seen. There is also a spring of medicinal water that completes this beautiful place. The spring is surrounded by woods, and the trails leading to it indicate that it can also be reached through the forest.
East Serbia / Negotin Krajina. History of winemaking is a valuable part of the Serbian cultural heritage. Its material evidence – Rajačke pivnice (pimnice) is unique in both Serbia and the surrounding area.
Pimnice are a living witness of the way of life and customs of traditional wine communities of Serbs in Eastern Serbia through centuries. The village of Rajac is specific in that it has a special part of the village where authentic wine cellars are located – pimnice.
The pimnice were built in the 18th century from wood and stone, and today they are used by local people to store wine. During the visit you can taste the wine and in some sleep, surrounded by objects dating from the 18th and 19th centuries.
The Vratna Monastery is about forty kilometers from Negotin and twenty of Brze Palanka. It lies hidden between high walls and along the river Jabuce. It’s only visible when it comes from the eastern side to about two hundred meters. The name was given to the monastery by huge, up to thirty meters high, with doors or gates carved in the walls of the Jabuce riverbed, which had been dubbed and shaped without any tools for hundreds of thousands of years. The gates are three in total and can be considered as the true wonder of the nature of God.